Here are some DOs for Jamaica travelers:
- Take only a red plate cab. They are licensed to drive on the road.
- If you want to go shopping, change your US dollars for Jamaican money. Hotels will change the money for you, but you can get more for your US dollar at a place called a Cambio. You can ask to see if the hotel has a shuttle to take you to a Cambio where you would get more for your dollar (e.g., 1 US dollar in Jamaica is worth from 82.00 to 83.00 or 84.00 Jamaican dollars depending on where you go). You can also change your cash at the airport in Jamaica when you arrive.
- DO go to Margueritaville Sports Bar & Grill and enjoy a lovely glass of margarita
- DO go to Half Moon Shopping Center or other duty free shops where you get can get some of the best coffee in the world, “Blue Mountain Coffee,” perfumes, souvenirs and boutique clothing.
- DO try our jelly coconut water
- DO try our jerk chicken or jerk pork (very tasty; finger licking good)
- DO try our curry goat with white rice
- DO go see Rose Hall Great House (It’s a museum that has existed since the 18th century)
- If you rent a car, DO remember to drive on the left.
- DO learn a little patois (a dialect that everyone speaks).
- If you rent a car, make sure your insurance company will cover you driving in Jamaica.
- People will come up to you to try to sell you crafts or other stuff. If you are not interested, just say no thank you.
Jamaica is really a beautiful place. And, as a final note, DO stay at an all inclusive resort.